Branch : Mechanical Engineering, VIII Semester
Course : Machine Design
Note: PSG Design data book and/ or Mahadevan and Reddy’s Mechanical design data book are
to be provided/ permitted in exam hall (duly verified by authority)
Unit II Spur and Helical Gears: Force analysis of gear tooth, modes of failure, beam strength, Lewis equation, form factor, formative gear and virtual number of teeth; Gear materials; Surface strength and wear of teeth; strength against wear; Design of straight tooth spur and Helical Gears. Bevel Gears: Application of bevel, formative gear and virtual number of teeth; Force analysis; Lewis equation for bevel gears; Strength against wear; Design of bevel gear.
Unit III Design of I.C. Engine Components: General design considerations in I C engines; design of cylinder; design of piston and piston-rings; design of connecting rod; design of crankshaft.
Unit IV Design of Miscellaneous Components: design of Flanged coupling; Rigid coupling, Design of Pressure vessels subjects to internal pressure, external pressure, design of penetration, design of flanges, cone cylinder junctions ,Materials, Fabrication.
Unit V Optimization: Basic concept of optimization, classification of optimization, optimization techniques, engineering applications of optimization. Classical optimization techniques: unconstrained optimization single-variable optimization, multivariable optimization, solution by direct search method, solution by Lagrange-multipliers method.
ME802 Machine Design Syllabus References:
1. Shigley J.E.; Machine Design; TMH
2. BhandariVB; Design of Machine Elments; TMH
3. Sharma CS and Purohit K; Design of Machine Elements; PHI Learning.
4. Hall and Somani; Machine Design; Schaum Series; TMH
5. Wentzell TH; Machine Design; Cegage Learning
6. Sharma & Agrawal; Machine Design; Katson
7. Kulkarni SG; Machine Design; TMH
8. Abdul Mubeen; Machine Design; Khanna Publishers
9. Juvinall RC, Marshek KM; Fundamentals of Machine Component Design; Wiley
10. Norton R; Design Of Machinery; TMH
List of Experiment (Pl. expand it): Designing and sketching of components contained in the syllabus