Branch : Mechanical Engineering, VIII Semester
Unit 3 Geometric Modeling: Its use in analysis and mfg; 2D and 3D line, surface and volume models; linear extrusion and rotational sweep; Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG); basics of boundary presentation- spline, Bezier, b-spline, and NURBS; sculpture surfaces, classification, basics of coons, Bezier, b-spline and ruled surfaces; tweaking, constraint based parametric modeling; wire-frame modeling, definition of point, line and circle; polynomial curve fitting; introduction to rapid prototyping.
Unit 4 Numeric control and part programming: Principles of NC machines, CNC, DNC; NC modes of point to point, -line and 2D, 3D contouring; NC part programming; ISO standard for coding, preparatory functions(G)- motion, dwell, unit, preset, cutter compensation, coordinate and plane selection groups; miscellaneous (M) codes; CLDATA and tool path simulation; ISO codes for turning tools and holders; ATC, modular work holding and pallets; time and power estimation in milling, drilling
and turning; adaptive control, sequence control and PLC; simple part programming examples.
Unit 5 Group Technology: Importance of batch and job shop production; merits of converting zigzag process layout flow to smooth flow in cellular layout, Production Flow Analysis (PFA) and clustering methods; concept of part families and coding; hierarchical, attribute and hybrid coding; OPITZ, MICLASS and DCLASS coding; FMS; material handling; robots, AGV and their programming; agile mfg; Computer Aided Process Planning (CAPP), variant/ retrieval and generative approach
1. S.Kant Vajpay; Principles of CIM; PHI
2. Rao PN; CAD/CAM;TMH
3. Groover MP; Automation, Production Systems & CIM; P.H.I.
4. Rao PN, Tiwari NK, Kundra TK; Computer Aided Manufacturing; TMH
5. Alavudeen A, Venkteshwarn N; Computer Integrated Mfg; PHI
6. Radhakrishnan P, Subramanian S and Raju V; CAD/CAM/CIM; New age Pub
1. 2D and 3D modeling on CAD software
2. Use of CAM software for writing CNC programs
3. Study of automatic and semi automatic control system and writing the electrical analogy.
4. Production & layout for GT for group of jobs to be manufactured
5. A case study / tutorial using CAPP Software
6. Writing M & G codes for given operations.
7. Robot and AGV programming