EC 8th sem Advanced Communication Systems Syllabus EC801 Advanced Communication Systems Syllabus Electronics and Communication Engineering
PROGRAMME: Electronics & Communication Engineering
COURSE: EC-801 Advanced Communication Systems
Speech coding: Introduction, the sound of speech, stochastic models for speech, quantization and coding, from speech transmissionto acoustic telepresence.
Unit-II Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM)
Introduction, principle of OFDM, implementation of transceivers, frequency-selective channels, channel estimation, peak ro average power ratio, intercarrier interference, adaptive modulation and capacity, multiple access, multicarrier code division multiple access, single carrier modulation with frequency-domain equalization.
Multiantenna system: smart antennas, multiple input multiple output systems.
Unit-III Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM)
Historical overview, system overview, the air interface, logical and physical channels, synchronization, coding, equalizer, circuit-switched data transmission, establishing a connection and handover, services and billing.
Interim Standard 95 (IS-95) and Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA 2000)
Historical overview, system overview, the air interface, coding, spreading and modulation, logical and physical channels, handover.
Unit-IV Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (WCDMA)
Historical overview, system overview, the air interface, logical and physical channels, speech coding, multiplexing and channel coding, spreading and modulation, physical-layer procedures.
Statistics of Cellular systems
Time delay spread, Noise figure, power limited and bandwidth-limited system, mobile and portable coverage, Ray-tracking and building-block approach, coding scheme and variable burst-error intervals, antenna down-tilt, lnter-modulation, mobile location, angle spread with antenna height and its application.
Unit V New Concepts
Channel capacity in a Rayleigh fading environment, real-time running average, link capacities versus call drops between GSM and CDMA, data transmission via cellular systems, multiuser detection for CDMA, spectrum and technology of a WLL system, wavelet representation.
EC-801 Advanced Communication Systems References:
1. A. F. Molisch: Wireless Communications, Wiley India Pvt. Ltd.
2. W. C. Y. Lee: Mobile Communications Engineering- theory and practices, TMH.
3. Upena Dalal: Wireless Communications, Oxford University Press.
4. Kamilo Feher: Wireless Digital Communications, PHI Learning.
5. Mullet: Introduction to Wireless Telecommunication Systems and Networks: Cengage Learning.
EC-801 Advanced Communication Systems List of Experiments: Practical should be performed using Scilab/ Matlab simulation software based on the above contents some may be as follows:
1. Simulation of block codes, convolutional codes, parity check codes etc.
2. Simulation of transreceiver in OFDM and plotting of BER vs SNR graphs for coded and uncoded OFDM.
3. Simulation of transmission through a rayleigh fading channel.
1. Coding, multiplexing, interleaving, spreading, modulation and demodulation in uplink and downlink for GSM and CDMA
2. Data transmission via cellular systems.
3. Smart antennas and MIMO systems.