EC 8th sem Nanoelectronics Syllabus EC-803 Nanoelectronics Syllabus Electronics and Communication Engineering
PROGRAMME: Electronics & Communication Engineering
COURSE: EC-803 Nanoelectronics
The ‘Top down’ and ‘Bottom up’ approach, Why Nanoelectronics?, Nanotechnology potential.Band structure and density of states at Nanoscale: energy bands, density of states at low dimensional structure.
Electrical transport in Nanostructure: Electrical conduction in metals, insulator/ionic crystals and semiconductors. Conduction mechanism in bulk, thin film and low dimensional system. Introductory quantum mechanics for Nanoscience: size effect in smaller systems, quantum behavior of nanometric world.
Unit-II Tunnel junction and application of tunneling: Tunneling through a potential barrier, potential energy profiles of material interfaces, applications of tunneling. Quantum wells, wires and dots: Semiconductor hetrostructure and quantum wells, quantum dots and nanoparticles.
Unit-III Single electron transistor: Coulomb Blockade, single electron transistor, other SET and FET structures.
Unit-IV Ballastic and spin transport: Classical and semi-classical transport, ballistic transport, carbon nanotubes and nanowires, transport of spin and spintronics.
The era of new Nanostructures of carbon: Buck minsterfullerence, Nanodiomond, BN Nanotubes, Molecular Machine, Nanobiometrics.
Unit V Fabrication technology: Top-down vs bottom-up technology.
Lithographic process: Lithography, Nanolithography, split gate technology, self assembly, limitation of lithographic process.
Non-lithographic techniques: Plasma arc discharge, sputtering, evaporation, chemical vapour deposition, pulsed laser deposition, molecular beam epitaxy, sol-gel technique, electrodeposition and other process.
EC-803 Nanoelectronics References:
2. K. K. Chattopadhyay and A. N. Banerjee: Introduction to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, PHI Learning.
3. Vlaadiniz U. Mitin: Introduction to Nanoelectronics, Cambridge University Press.
4. M. Dragman and D. Dragman: Nanoelectronics- Principles and devices, Artech House.
5. Karl Goser: Nanoelectronics and Nanosystems, Springer.
6. Daniel Minoli: Nanotechnology application to telecommunication and networking, Wiley Interscience.
7. John H. Davis: Physics of low dimension semiconductor, Cambridge Press.
8. Carl C. Cosh: Nanostructure materials processing property and applications, Noyes Publications.