ME 404 Thermal Engg and Gas Dynamics Revised syllabus RGPV / RGTU B.E. Mechanical Engineering ME, 4th (IV) Semester syllabus
Tags: RGPV, BE, ME syllabus, Thermal Engg and Gas Dynamics syllabus, B.E. Mechanical Engineering, ME VI Semester syllabus, ME 4th Semester syllabus, RGPV ME 404 syllabus
Rajiv Gandhi Technological University, Bhopal (MP)
B.E. (ME) Mechanical Engineering FOURTH IV SEMESTER
Revised Syllabus and Scheme of Examination Effective from July 2007
Unit II Phase Change Cycles: Vapor Carnot cycle and its limitation, Rankin cycle, effect of boiler and Condenser pressure and superheat on end moisture and efficiency of ranking cycle, modified Rankin cycle, reheat cycle, perfect regenerative cycle, Ideal and actual regenerative cycle with single and multiple heaters, open and closed type of feed water heaters, regenerative-reheat cycle, supercritical pressure and binary-vapor cycle, work done and efficiency calculations.
Unit III (A) Gas dynamics: speed of sound, in a fluid mach number, mach cone, stagnation properties, one-dimensional isentropic flow of ideal gases through variable area duct-mach number variation, area ratio as a function of mach number, mass flow rate and critical pressure ratio, effect of friction, velocity coefficient, coefficient of discharge, diffusers, normal shock.
(b) Steam nozzles: isentropic flow of vapors, flow of steam through nozzles, condition for maximum discharge, effect of friction, super-saturated flow.
Unit IV Air compressors: working of reciprocating compressor, work input for single stage compression different, compression processes, effect of clearance, volumetric efficiency real indicator diagram, isentropic & isothermal and mechanical efficiency, multi stage compression, inter -cooling, condition for minimum work done, classification and working of rotary compressors.
Unit V Steam condensers, cooling towers and heat exchangers: introduction, types of condensers, back pressure and its effect on plant performance air leakage and its effect on performance of condensers, various types of cooling towers, design of cooling towers, classification of heat exchangers, recuperates and regenerators .parallel flow, counter flow and cross flow exchangers, fouling factor, introduction to LMTD approach to design a heat exchanger.
1. Nag PK; Power plant Engineering; TMH
2. Thermodynamics by Gordon J. Van Wylen
3. P.K.Nag; Basic and applied Thermodynamics; TMH
4. Ganesan; Gas turbines; TMH
5. Heat Engines by V.P. Vasandani & D. S. Kumar
6. R. Yadav Steam and Gas Turbines
7. R.Yadav Thermal Engg.
8. Kadambi & Manohar; An Introduction to Energy Conversion – Vol II. Energy conversion cycles
List of Experiments (Expandable) (Thermal Engg and gas dynamics):
1. Study of working of some of the high pressure boilers like Lamont or Benson
2. Study of Induced draft/forced and balanced draft by chimney
3. Determination of Calorific value of a fuel
4. Study of different types of steam turbines
5. Determination of efficiencies of condenser
6. Boiler trail to chalk out heat balance sheet
7. Determination of thermal efficiency of steam power plant
8. Determination of Airflow in ducts and pipes.
9. To find out efficiencies of a reciprocating air compressor and study of multistage Compressors .
10. Find Out heat transfer area of a parallel flow/counter flow heat exchanger