EI801 Optical Instruments and Sensors EI 8th (Eight) sem Electronics and Instrumentation(EI) Syllabus
Introduction to vector nature of light, Propagation of light, Propagation of light in a cylindrical dielectric rod, ray model, wave model. Theory of image formation, Review of aberration, Comma, acclamation, distortion, Chromative aberration, Osages
Different types of optical fibres, model analysis of a step index fiber. Signal degradation on optical fiber due to dispersion and attenuation.
Optical fiber in instrumentation use of optical fibers as sensors, modulation techniques for sensors fiber optic power measurement. Stabilized calibrated light sources end-to-end measurement of fiber losses, optical signal processing.
Optical power meters, optical attenuators, optical spectrum analyzer, optical switching & logic gate and measurement techniques like optical time domain reflectometry, (OTDR), attenuation measurements
Optical Sources & detectors: LED and LASERS, photo detectors, pin detectors detector responsitivity – noise, optical receivers. Integrated optical devices
1. An Introduction to Fiber Optics by Cherin
2. Optical fiber – System Technology, design and applications by C.K. Rao
3. Optical Fiber Sensors, Vol.12 by Culshaw B. and Dakin J. (Ed.), Arctech House
4. Fundamentals of Fiber Optics in Telecommunications and sensor, by B.P. Pal, Wiley Eastern
5. Optical Fiber Communication by G. Kelser, McGraw Hill
6. Liu- Principles & Application of Optical Communication 1st ed., TMH
7. Ghatak- Optics 4th ed., TMH
8. Keiser- Optical Fiber Communication 4th ed., TMH
LIST OF EXPERIMENTS
1. Setting up Fiber Optic Analog Link and Digital Link
2. Study of Intensity Modulation Technique using Analog input signal
3. Pulse Width Modulation in Fiber Optic Link.
4. Measurement of propagation or attenuation loss in optical fiber.
5. Measurement of bending loss in optical fiber.
6. Numerical Aperture (NA) of the fiber.
7. Study of Diffraction gratings.
8. Study of Michelson Interferometer.
9. Study of Reflection Holography.
10. Study of Transmission Holography