Evolution of quality control, Quality journey : Inspection to TQM, Quality of design, conformance, performance, functions, Global scenario, concept of Quality costs.
Unit-II Standardization and Quality Assurance
Quality assurance: Concept, need; ISO 9000 systems, ISO 14000; Quality audit, documentation.
Unit-III Statistical Quality Control
Basic statistical concepts, Probability distribution-Binomial, Poisson and Normal, control chars for variables and attributes, CUSUM charts, Multivariate charts, Process capability, Tolerances and selective assembly, Acceptance sampling.
Unit-IV Diagnosis and Prevention of Defects
Defect study, Identification and analysis of defects, Corrective measure, Factors affecting reliability, MTBF, MTTR, Calculation of reliability, Building reliability in the product, Evaluation of reliability, Interpretation of test results, Reliability control, Maintainability, FMEA, Guarantee, Warrantee and claims.
Unit-V Quality Awards
Break through in quality management, Quality gurus: Deming, Crosby, Ishikawa, Juran etc., Seven quality tools, Quality circle, Kaizen, Concepts of poka yoke, 5 S campaign, Six sigma, Qquality function deployment, Benchmarking, National quality award model; Malcom Balbridge, National Quality Awards , Quality in service sector, Administration etc., Case Studies.
- Lt. Gen. H. Lal, “Total Quality Management”, Wiley Eastern Limited.
- Greg Bounds, : Beyond Total Quality Management”, McGraw Hill.
- Besterfield, Total Quality Management, Pearson Education, Asia.
- w.e.f Academic session 2010 Page 18 of 32
- Menon, H.G., “TQM in New Product Manufacturing”, McGraw Hill.
- Mitra, Total Quality Control, Pearson Publication.
- Quality assurance and TQM by K.C. Jain and A.K. Chitale.