Overview of satellite systems: Introduction, Frequency allocations for satellite systems.
Orbits and launching methods: Kepler’s three laws of planetary motion, terms used for earth orbiting satellites, orbital elements, apogee and perigee heights, orbit perturbations, inclined orbits, local mean solar point and sun-synchronous orbits, standard time.
The Geostationary orbit: Introduction, antenna look angles, polar mount antenna, limits of visibility, near geostationary orbits, earth eclipse of satellite, sun transit outage, launching orbits.
Polarization: antenna polarization, polarization of satellite signals, cross polarization discrimination.
Depolarization: ionospheric, rain, ice.
The Space segment: introduction, power supply, attitude control, station keeping, thermal control, TT&C subsystem, transponders, antenna subsystem, Morelos and Satmex 5, Anik-satellites, Advanced Tiros-N spacecraft.
The Earth segment: introduction, receive-only home TV systems, master antenna TV system, Community antenna TV system, transmit-receive earth station.
The space link: Introduction, Equivalent isotropic radiated power (EIPR), transmission losses, the link power budget equation, system noise, carrier-to-noise ratio (C/N), the uplink, the downlink, effects of rain, combined uplink and downlink C/N ratio, intermodulation noise, inter-satellite links.
Unit-V : Satellite services
VSAT (very small aperture terminal) systems: overview, network architecture, access control protocols, basic techniques, VSAT earth station, calculation of link margins for a VSAT star network.
Direct broadcast satellite (DBS) Television and radio: digital DBS TV, BDS TV system design and link budget, error control in digital DBS-TV, installation of DBS-TV antennas, satellite radio broadcasting.
1. D. Roddy: Satellite Communications, 4th Edition, TMH, New Delhi.
2. T. Pratt, C. Bostian and J. Allnut: Satellite Communications, 2nd Edition, Wiley India Pvt. Ltd.
3. W. L. Pritchard, H. G. Suyderhoud and R. A. Nelson: Satellite Communication Systems Engineering, 2nd Edition, Pearson Education.
4. D.C. Agarwal: Satellite Communications, Khanna Publishers.
5. R. M. Gangliardi: Satellite Communications, CBS Publishers.
6. M. R. Chartrand: Satellite Communication, Cengage Learning.
7. Raja Rao: Fundamentals of Satellite communications, PHI Learning.
8. Monojit Mitra: Satellite Communication: PHI Learning.