BPharma, PY 605 Pharmacology-II 7th (VII) Semester RGPV / RGTU B Pharma, PHARMACY 7th (VII) Semester Syllabus
BPharma 7th sem Pharmacology-II Syllabus
a) Cardiac Glycosides
b) Antiarrythmic drugs
c) Antianginal drugs
d) Antihypertensive drugs
Pharmacology of drugs acting on hematopoietic system
b) Drugs affecting coagulation, bleeding and thrombosis
c) Plasma expanders
d) Hypolipidaemic drugs
Pharmacology of drugs acting on urinary system
Pathophysiology of diseases of endocrine system and pharmacology of drugs used for their treatment
a) Hypothalamic and pituitary hormones
b) Thyroid hormones and antithyroid drugs
c) Insulin, oral hypoglycemic agents and glucagons
e) Androgens and drugs for erectile dysfunction
f) Estrogens, progestins and contraceptives
g) Oxytocin and drugs acting on uterus
h) Drugs affecting calcium balance
List of Practicals
1. Determine the strength of given sample (acetyl choline/ histamine) by three point bioassay method using isolated organ preparation (rat ileum/ rat duodenum/ rat colon/ rat fundus/ guinea pig ileum).
2. Determine the strength of given sample (acetyl choline/ histamine) by four point bioassay method using isolated organ preparation (rat ileum/ rat duodenum/ rat colon/ rat fundus/ guinea pig ileum).
3. Record the concentration response curve of oxytocin using rat uterus preparation.
4. Determine the sympatholytic activity of given drug sample using isolated guinea pig ileum preparation.
5. Compare the diuretic/saluretic activity of different drugs in rats.
6. Determine the effect of anticoagulants by subaqueous tail bleeding time method in rodents.
7. Study the effect of oral hypoglycemic agents in diabetic rodents.
8. Study the effect of thyroid hormones on the tensile strength of connective tissues in rats.
9. Study the effect of growth hormone on the weight gain in female rats.
1) Herfindal, E.T., Gourley, D.R., (eds.) (2000) Textbook of therapeutics Drug and disease management. 7th ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins
2) Hardmen, J.G., Limbird, L.E., Gilman A.,G., (eds.) (2001) Goodman and Gilman’s The pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 10th ed. USA: The McGraw Hill Companies
3) Kumar, V., Abbas, A.K., Fausto, N., (eds.) (2004) Robbins and Cotran Pathologic basis of disease. 7th ed. Pennsylvania: Saunders
4) Barar, F.S.K., (2000) Essentials of therapeutics. New Delhi: S. Chand and Company (P) Ltd.
5) Satoskar, R.S., Bhandarkar, S.D., Rege, N.N., (2007) Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics. 12th ed. Mumbai: Popular Prakashan
6) Seth, S.D., (ed.) (2005) Textbook of Pharmacology. 2nd ed. New Delhi. Elsevier
7) Tripathi, K.D. (1999) Essentials of medical pharmacology. 4th ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
8) Rang, H.P., et al. (eds.) (2003) Pharmacology. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier
9) Katzung, B.G., (2004) Basic and clinical pharmacology. 9th ed. USA: The McGraw Hill Companies.
10) Pillai, K.K., (2009) Experimental Pharmacology. New Delhi, CBS Publishers and Distributers.
11) Kulkarni, S.K., (2005) Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology. New Delhi, Vallabh Prakashan.
12) Vogel, H.G., (ed.) (2002) Drug Discovery and Evaluation. Pharmacological Assays. 2nd Ed. Heidelberg, Germany, Springer-Verlag.