Unit-II Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires: Tires construction; physics of tire; traction on dry and wet surfaces, tire forces and moments, SAE recommended practice; rolling resistance of Tire Model; ride properties of Tires.
Unit-III Performance Characteristics of Road Vehicle: Equation of motion; maximum, vehicle power and transmission characteristics; prediction of vehicle performance; operating fuel economy, braking performance.
Unit-IV Handling and stability: Characteristics of road vehicle; steering geometry, steady state handling characteristics; steady state response to steering input; transient response characteristics; direction stability effects of tire; effect of mass distribution and engine location on stability and handling.
Unit-V Vehicle Ride Characteristics: Human response to vibration, vehicle ride models, road surface profile as a random function, frequency response function, evaluation of vehicle vertical vibration to ride comfort criterion.
Unit-VI Two Wheeler Dynamics: Stability & handling, vehicle motion ride control, various vehicle models, gyroscopic effect and effect of Tire and vehicle parameters on stability and handling characteristics.
1. Wong; Theory of Ground Vehicle; John willey & Sons
2. Clark S.K; Mechanics of Pneumatic Tire; NBS Monograph
3. Sohlenien W; Dynamics of High Speed Vehicles; Springer N.Y.
4. Ellis J.E.R; Vehicle Dynamics; Business Book London
5. Ramalingam KK; Automobile engineering; Scitech pub
6. Giri N.K.; Automotive Mechanics
List of Experiments (Please Expand it):
1. Study of static and dynamic properties of tires
2. Study of effect of braking system on car speed down, stopping and stability
3. Study effect of vibration and noise on human comfort
4. Study effect of engine location on stability and dynamics