CIVIL 4th sem Construction Materials and Techniques Syllabus CE 404 Construction Materials and Techniques Syllabus
Unit-II Advance Construction Materials : Use of fly ash in mortars, concrete, Fly ash bricks, stabilized mud blocks, non-erodible mud plinth, D.P.C. materials, Building materials made by Industrial & agricultural waste, clay products P.V.C. materials, advance materials for flooring, doors & windows, facia material, interiors materials for plumbing, sanitation & electrification.
(B) Construction Techniques:
Unit-III Foundation: Type of soils, bearing capacity, soil slablisation and improvement of bearing capacity, settlement and safe limits. Spread foundations, wall footings, grillage, foundations well foundation, causes of failure and remedial measures; under reamed piles, foundation on shrinkable soils, black cotton soil, timbering for trenches, dewatering of foundations. Hyperbolic parabolied footing, Brick arch foundation. Simple methods of foundation design, Damp proof courses, Repairs Techniques for foundations.
Unit-IV Masonry and Walls : Brick masonry, Bonds, Jointing, Stone masonry, casting and laying, masonry construction, Brick cavity walls, code provisions regarding load bearing and non load bearing walls. Common defects in construction and their effect on strength and performance of walls, designed Brick masonry, precast stone masonry block, Hollow concrete block, plastering and pointing, white and color washing, distempering, dampness and its protection, Design of hollow block masonry walls. Doors, Windows and Ventilators: Types based on material etc., size location, fittings, construction sunshades, sills and jambs, RCC doors/windows frames. Stairs types, rule of proportionality etc., Repairs techniques for masonry, walls, doors & windows.
Unit-V Floors and Roofs : Types, minimum thickness, construction, floor finishes, Flat roofs, RCC jack arch, reinforced brick concrete, solid slab and timber roofs, pitched roofs, false ceiling, roof coverings, Channel unit, cored unit, Waffle unit, Plank and Joist, Brick panel, L-Panel, Ferro- cement roofing units, water proofing .Services : Water supply & Drainage, Electrification, Fire protection, thermal insulation, Air Conditioning, Acoustics & Sound insulation, Repairs to damaged & cracked buildings, techniques and materials for low cost housing., Repairs techniques for floors & roofs.
CE 404 Construction Materials and Techniques References:
1. Mohan Rai & M.P. Jai Singh; Advance in Building Materials & Construction,.
2. S.C. Rangwala; Engineering Materials
3. Sushil Kumar; Building Construction,
4. B.C. Punmia; Building Construction ,.
5. Building Construction, Metchell
6. Construction Technology, Chudley R.
7. Civil Engineering Materials, N. Jackson.
8. Engineering Materials, Surendra Singh.
CE 404 Construction Materials and Techniques List of Experiments:
- Tests on Bricks
- Tests on Aggregates
- Tests on Cement
- Determination of compressive strength of concrete with different cement grades.
- Determination of workability of concrete by slump test
- Determination of workability by compacting factor apparatus.
- Determination of workability by Vee Bee consistometer.
- Nondestructive testing of concrete by Rebound hammer test
- Nondestructive testing of concrete by ultrasonic Method.
- Test for the effect of admixtures on the concrete compressive strength
- Testing of microconcrete
- Design of concrete mix.