Branch: Common Semester BE 1st/2nd semester Syllabus
Materials: Classification of engineering material, Composition of cast iron and carbon steels on Iron- Carbon diagram and their mechanical properties. Alloy steels and their application. Stress-strain diagram, Hooks law and modulus of elasticity. Tensile, shear, hardness and fatigue testing of materials
Measurement: Temperature, pressure, velocity, flow strain, force and torque measurements, concept of measurement error & uncertainty analysis, Vernier caliper, micrometer, dial gauges, slip gauges, sinebar and combination set. Introduction to lath, drilling, milling and shaping machines.
Fluids: Fluid properties pressure, density and viscosity. Pressure variation with depth, static and kinetic energy, Bernauli’s equation for incompressible fluids, Viscous and turbulent flow, working principle of fluid coupling, pumps, compressors turbines, positive displacement machines and pneumatic machines. Hydraulic power & pumped storage plants for peak load management as compared to base load plants.
Thermodynamic: First and second law of thermodynamic; steam properties, steam processes at
constant pressure, volume, enthalpy & entropy, classification and working of boilers, efficiency &
performance analysis, natural and artificial draught, calculation of chimney height. Refrigeration, vapor absorption & compression cycles, coefficient of perform (COP), refrigerant properties & eco friendly refrigerants.
Reciprocating Machines: Steam engines, hypothetical and actual indicator diagram, Carnot cycle and ideal efficiency, Otto and diesel cycles, working of two stroke & four stroke petrol & diesel IC engines.
Reference Books: -
1. Material Science- Narula TMH.
2. Fluid Mechanics and Machinery- Agrawal, TMH
3. Instrumentation and Measurements by Nakra and Chaudhary.TMH
4. Engineering Thermodynamic by P.K. Nag, Tata McGraw Hill
5. Internal Combustion Engines- Ganesan, TMH.
List of suggestive core Experiments:
Theory related eight to ten experiments including core experiments as follows:
1. Tensile testing of standard mild steel specimen.
2. Experiment on Bernoulli’s theorem.
3. Linear and angular measurements using, Vernier, micrometer, slip gauge, dial gauge and sine-bar.
4. Study of different types of boilers and mountings.
5. To find COP of a refrigeration unit.
6. Study of different IC engines.