TX 603 Textile Testing II Syllabus
Unit II Tensile testing of yarn and fabric, terms and definition with their importance, concept and application of CRL, CRE and CRT principle, factors affecting the result of tensile experiments, loads-elongation curve and its conversion to stress-strain curve, tensile properties-terms and definition and their units, experimental methods, effects of different variability on the tensile properties, different models to represent the tensile behavior of visco-elastic material, concept of mechanical setting of textile material.
Unit III Fabric testing– measurement of physical parameters e.g., length, width, weight/length, thickness, crimp, etc. Importance of measuring equipments of fabric properties e.g. drape, handle, stiffness, crease recovery, pilling, wear and abrasion.
Unit IV: Bursting test, air permeability, water permeability, water-proof-ness, tearing strength, shrinkage, grab test, color fastness tests– washing, rubbing, sublimation, perspirations, dry cleaning, flammability test- assessment of aesthetic of fabrics by Kawabata, first systems
1. Booth J.E; Principle of Textile Testing
2. Grover BE and Hamby DS; Handbook of Textile Testing & Quality Control
3. Kothari VK; Progress in Textiles Science and Technology–Vol.1, Testing & Quality Management;
4. Morton &Hearle; Physical properties of Textile Fiber-
5. Angappan P, R. Gopalakrishnan; Textile Testing;
6. Mehta Pradip V and Bhardwaj Satish K; Management of Quality in the Apparel industry;
List of Experiments (Pl. expand it): Textile Testing–II
Determination of irregularity of sliver, roving and yarns, measurement of yarn strength (single yarn & lea) and elongation by different testers, calculation of CSP, Young’s Modulus, Yield points and work of rupture, different fabric testing.
1. Determination of Fabric tensile strength (strip ) & elongation
2. Determination of Fabric strength (Grab method )
3. Determination of Fabric tearing strength
4. Determination of Bursting strength of fabric
5. Determination of Fabric crease recovery
6. Determination of Fabric stiffness
7. Determination of Air permeability of fabrics
8. Determination of Water repellency of fabrics
9. Determination of Pilling resistance of fabrics
10. Determination of Abrasion resistance of fabrics
11. Determination of Single yarn strength, Lea strength
12. Determination of Work of rupture of yarn and fabric