ME-303 Strength & Mechanics of materials ME 3rd sem RGTU/RGPV Mechanical Engineering(ME) Third-3rd Sem syllabus
UNIT II Transformation of stress and strain, principal stresses, normal and shear stress, Mohr’s circle and its application to two and three dimensional analysis, ductile and brittle failures, transmission shaft under combined bending and torsion; stresses in thin walled pressure vessel
UNIT III Torsion in shafts: stresses in a shaft, deformation in circular shaft, angle of twist, steppedhollow, thin walled-hollow transmission shafts Leaf springs; Helical springs, open and closed coil, stress in spring wire, deflection of helical spring, springs in series and parallel.
UNIT IV Bending: pure bending, symmetric member, deformation and stress, bending of composite sections, eccentric axial loading, shear force and BM diagram, relationship among load, shear and BM, shear stresses in beams
UNIT V Theories of failures: maximum normal stress & shear stress theory; maximum normal and shear strain energy theory; maximum distortion energy theory; application of theories to different materials and loading conditions Columns: stability of structures, Euler’s formula for columns with different end conditions, Rankin’s formula.
1. Beer FP, Johnson ER, Dewolf JT : Mechanics of Materials; TMH
2. Rattan; Strength of materials; TMH
3. Nash William; Schaum’s Outline of Strength of Materials; TMH.
4. Negi ; strength of materials; TMH
5. Singh Arbind K; Mechanics of Solids; PHI
6. Strength of Materials, Sadhu Singh,
7. Kamal K and Ghai RC; Advanced Mechanics of Materials; Khanna Pub.