General - Problems associated with modern interconnected power Systems, deregulation, power systems restructuring, distributed generation, congestion, available transfer capacities, pricing of energy and transmission services.
Power flow studies - Formulation of static power flow equations and solutions using Gauss- Seidel, Newton Raphson and FDLF methods, comparison of these methods, Economic operation of power system - Economic dispatch, Emission dispatch, line loss, ITL, economic dispatch using lagrangian multiplier method.
MW Frequency control- Coherency, control area, modeling of speed control mechanism, load damping, block diagrammatic representation of single and two area interconnected system, static and dynamic response, .optimum parameter adjustment.
MVAR Voltage control Problem- Difference in control strategy over MW – f control, characteristics of an excitation system, DC AC and static excitation system, General block diagram representation of voltage regulators.
Power System Stability - Steady state, dynamic and transients stability, Swing equation , equal area criterion, solution of swing equation using step by step method modified Eulers method and Rnge-Kutta method, methods of improving transient stability.
Reference Books :
1. Modern Power System Analysis-by I.J. Nagrath & D.P. Kothari Tata Mc Graw – Hill Publication
Company Ltd 2nd edition.
2. Electrical Power Systems-by C.L. Wadhwa New Age International (P) Limited Publishers, 2nd edition 1998.
3. Reactive power Control in Electric Systems-by T.J.E. Miller, John Wiley & Sons.
4. T.K. Nagsarkar, M.S. Sukhiza, -“Power System Analysis”, Oxford University Press.
5. Elgerd O.I., “Electric Energy Systems Theory”, TMH, New Delhi, Second Edition 1983.
6. Prabha Kundur, “Power system stability and control”, Mc-Graw Hill Inc, New York, 1993.
7. Taylor C.W., “Power System Voltage Stability”, Mc-Graw Hill Inc, New York, 1993.
8. Nagrath IJ, Kothari D.P., “Power System Engineering”, Tata Mc-Graw Hills, New Delhi 1994.
9. Weedy B.M. “Electric Power System” John Wiley and Sons, 3rd edition.
10. P.S.R. Murthy, “Power System Operation and Control”, B S Publ-ication
11. Power Generation, Operation and Control by A.J. wood and B.F. Wollenberg John Wiley & Sons Inc. 1984.
12. Power Systems Analysis- by A.R. Bergen Prentice Hali Inc.
13. Economic Operation of Power Systems- by L.K. Kirchmayer Wiley Eastern Ltd.
List Of Experiments:
1. To develop a program in Matlab for information of Y-bus matrix for N bus system.
2. Load flow solution for 3-bus system using Gauss- Seidel, Newton Raphson and FDLF methods up to 3 iteration.
3. Load flow solution for IEEE 6-bus and 30-bus system in Matlab using Newton Raphson method.
4. Assessment of transient stability of a single machine system.
5. Effect of compensation on voltage profile of IEEE 6-bus system.
6. Study of any software tools (PSAT, EDSA, MY POWER, ETAP etc).