CE801 Geo Tech.Engg. - II Course Contents:
Shallow Foundations : Type of foundations shallow and deep. Bearing capacity of foundation on cohesion less and cohesive soils. General and local shear failures. Factors effecting B.C. Theories of bearing capacity - Prandle, Terzaghi, Balla, Skempton, Meyerh of and Hansan. I.S. code on B.c. Determination of bearing capacity. Limits of total and differential settlements. Plate load test.
Unit - II
Deep Foundation : Pile foundation, Types of piles, estimation of individual and group capacity of piles in cohesion less and cohesive soils. Static and dynamic formulae.. Pile load test, Settlement of pile group, Negative skin friction, under- reamed piles and their design. Piles under tension, inclined and lateral load Caissons. Well foundation. Equilibrium of wells. Analysis for stability tilts and shifts, remedial measures.
Unit - III
Soil Improvement Techniques : Compaction. Field and laboratory methods, Proctor compaction tests, Factors affecting compaction. Properties of soil affected by compaction. Various equipment for field compaction and their suitability. Field compaction control. Lift thickness. Soil stabilisation : Mechanical, Lime, Cement, Bitumen, Chemical, Thermal, Electrical-stabilisation and sabilisation by grouting. Geo-synthetics, types, functions, materials and uses.
Unit - IV
Soil Exploration and Foundations on Expansive and Collapsible soils : Methods of soil exploration. Planning of exploration programme for buildings, highways and earth dams. Disturbed and undisturbed samples and samplers for collecting them. Characteristics of expansive and collapsible soils, their treatment, Construction techniques on expansive and collapsible soils. CNS layer.
Unit - V
Sheet piles/Bulkheads and Machine foundation : Classification of sheet piles/bulkheads. Cantilever and anchored sheet piles, Cofferdams, materials, types and applications. Modes of vibration. Mass-spring analogy, Natural frequency. Effect of vibration on soils. Vibration isolation. Criteria for design. Design of block foundation for impact type of machine.
LABORATORY WORK: Laboratory work will be based on the course of Geotech. Engg. I & II as required for soil investigations of engineering projects and not covered in the lab. Work of Geotech. Engg. I.
LIST OF EXPERIMENTS
1. Indian Standard Light Compaction Test/Std. Proctor Test
2. Indian Standard Heavy Compaction Test/Modified Proctor Test
3. Determination of field density by Core Cutter Method
4. Determination of field density by Sand Replacement Method
5. Determination of field density by Water Displacement Method
6. The corifiled Compression Test
7. Triaxial compression test
8. Lab. Vane Shear test
9. CBR Test
10. Demonstration of Plate Load Test SPT & DCPT
Reference Books :--
1. Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engg. by Dr. K.R. Arora - Std. Publishers Delhi
2. Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engg. by B.C. Punmia - Laxmi Publiscations Delhi
3. Modern Geotech. Engg. by Dr. Alam Singh-IBT Publishers Delhi.
4. Geotech. Engg. by C.Venkatramaiah-New AGe International Publishers, Delhi
5. Found. Engg. by GALeonards McGraw Hill Book Co. Inc.
6. Relevant IS Code