CE-8202 PAVEMENT DESIGN Course Contents:
Equivalent Single Wheel Load (ESWL) : Definition, calculation of ESWL, repetition of loads and their effects on the pavement structures.
Flexible Pavements : Component parts of the pavement structures and their functions, stresses in flexible pavements, Stress distribution through various layers, Boussinesque’s theory , Burmister’s two layered theory, methods of design, group index method, CBR method, Burmister’s method and North Dakota cone method.
Rigid Pavements : Evaluation of subgrade, Modulus-K by plate bearing test and the test details, Westergaard’s stress theory stresses in rigid pavements, Temperature stresses, warping stresses, frictional stresses, critical combination of stresses, critical loading positions.
Rigid pavement design : IRC method, Fatigue analysis, PCA chart method, joints, design and construction & types, AASHTO Method, Reliability analysis.
Evaluation and Strengthening of Existing Pavements : Benkleman beam method, Serviceability Index Method. Rigid and flexible overlays and their design procedures.
Reference Books :--
1. Principles of pavement design by E.J.Yoder & M.W. Witczak
2. AASHO, “AASHO Interim Guide for Design of Pavement Structures”, Washington, D.C.
3. Portland Cement Association, Guidlines for Design of Rigid Pavements, Washington
4. DSIR, Conc. Roads Design & Construction
5. Srinivasan M. "Modern Permanent Way"