BPharma, 5th (V) Semester PHARMACOGNOSY -III PY-504 RGPV / RGTU B Pharma, PHARMACY 5th (V) Semester Syllabus
PHARMACOGNOSY -III BPharma 5th sem Syllabus
Effective for 2008 – 2009 Batch B. PHARMA- V SEMESTER (Modified on 14/06/10)
- General techniques of biosynthetic studies and basic metabolic pathways. Introduction to biosynthesis of secondary metabolites of pharmaceutical importance. A brief introduction of chemical nature of phytoconstituents.
- Radio – tracer techniques and utilization in biogenetic studies.
- Phytochemical Screening: Preparation of extracts and different tests performed for screening of extracts for the presence of alkaloids, saponins, steroidal compounds, flavanoids, anthraquinones, phenolics, amino acids, carbohydrates, fats etc.
- Concepts of stereoisomerisms Nature, distribution, classification, general methods of isolation and properties of alkaloids and terpenoids.
- Chemistry, biogenesis and pharmacological activity of atropine, reserpine, ephedrine, ergometrine, strychnine, quinine, morphine, digitoxin, sennosides, diosgenin, sarsapogenin, menthol, citral, taxol, rutin and artemisine.
- Systematic pharmacognostical study of alkoloidal drugs like; Tobacco, Belladona, Hyoscyamus, Datura, Coca, Withania, Cinchona, Ipecac, Opium, Ergot, Rauwolfia, Vinca, Nuxvomica, Physostigma, Pilocarpus, Veretrum, Kurchi, Ephedra, Solanam, Tea, Colchicum, coffeae, aconite etc.
1. Identify Colchicum, Ipecac and Vinca leaves morphologically.
2. Identify Aconite, Hyoscyamus and Withania leaves morphologically.
3. Perform morphological, microscopic and chemical evaluation of Tobacco.
4. Perform morphological, microscopic and chemical evaluation of Withania.
5. Perform morphological, microscopic and chemical evaluation of Cinchona bark.
6. Perform morphological, microscopic and chemical evaluation of Rauwolfia root.
7. Perform morphological, microscopic and chemical evaluation of Nux vomica seeds.
8. Perform morphological, microscopic and chemical evaluation of Ephedra.
9. Perform morphological, microscopic and chemical evaluation of Kurchi bark.
10. Isolate Nicotine from tobacco.
11. Isolate Caffeine from tea leaves.
12. Isolate Quinine from cinchona.
13. Isolate alkaloids from nux vomica seeds.
14. Isolate starch from potatoes.
15. Perform morphological characterization like type of stomata and calculate the stomatal index, vein islets, vein termination numbers, microscopic and chemical evaluation of Datura leaves.
16. To identify and evaluate the given sample of Colchicum corm by morphological, microscopical and chemical evaluation.
17. To identify the given sample of powdered crude drug by various phytochemical tests. (Cinchona/Rauwolfia/Senna/Ephedra)
1. Trease, G.E. and Evans, W.C., Pharmacognosy, Bailliere Tindall, Eastbourne, U.K.
2. Tayler, V.C., Brady, L.R. and Robers, J.E., Pharmacognosy, Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia.
3. Shah, C.S. and Quadry, J.S., A text book of Pharmacognosy, B.S. Shah Publishers, Ahmedabad.
4. Kokate, C.K., Purohit, A.P. and Gokhale, S.B., Pharmacognosy, Nirali Prakashan, Pune.
5. Indian Pharmacopoeia, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India, New Delhi. Wallis, T.E., Text Book of Pharmacognosy, Jand A Churchill Limited, London