UNIT 2 System concepts: types, definition, characteristics, feedback (Pull) and feed-forward (Push) control, system stress and entropy, computer as closed system, law of requisite variety, open and flexible (Adaptive) systems, work system model and comparison with input-process-output model, five views of work system: structure, performance, infrastructure, context and risk and their effect on product performance.
UNIT 3 Info concepts: define data, info, knowledge, intelligence and wisdom, Information characteristics and attributes, info measurement and probability, characteristics of human as info processor.
UNIT 4 Planning and control Concepts: terminologies, difficulties in planning, system analysis and development plan-purpose and participants, info planning, (SDLC) system development life cycle for inhouse and licensed sw, system investigation, analysis of needs, design and implementation phases, training of Operational personnel, evaluation, Control and Maintenance of Information Systems.
UNIT 5 E-business components and interrelationship, Evolution of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) from MRP, Supply chain management (SCM) and Customer relationship management (CRM), Integrated data model, strategic and operational issues in ERP, Business Process Re-Engineering (BPR), significance and functions, information technology and computer NW support to MIS.
1. Davis and Olson, Management Information Systems, TMH
2. James O’ Brian, Management Information Systems, TMH
3. Oz, Management Information Systems, Cengage
4. Alter Stevenson, Information Systems: Foundation of E-Business; (Prentice-Hall,USA)
5. Jayaraman, Business Process Re-Engineering, TMH.
6. Garg. V.K.; ERP, PHI
7. Kelkar SA; Management Information Systems A Concise Study; PHI Learning.
8. Radhakrishnan R and Balasuramanian S; Business Process Reengineering; PHI Learning.
9. Alex Leon ; ERP, TMH
10. Jawadekar WS; MIS- text and cases; TMH
11. Jaiswal M and Mital M; MIS; Oxford higher Edu India