Branch : Mechanical Engineering, VIII Semester
Course: Reliability and Maintenance
Unit 2 System Reliability Models: System reliability–n-component series systems, m-component parallel systems and combined system; standby systems; K-out-of-m systems; redundancy techniques
in system design; event space, decomposition (Key Stone), cut and tie sets, Markov analysis, reliability
and quality, unreliability, maintainability, availability
Unit 3 Maintenance Concepts and Strategies: Introduction, maintenance functions and objectives, maintenance planning and scheduling, maintenance organization. General Introduction to Maintenance Types: Breakdown, emergency, corrective, predictive, and preventive; maintenance prevention; design-out maintenance, productive maintenance, shutdown maintenance and scheduled maintenance.
Unit 4 Condition Based Maintenance: Principles of CBM, pillars of condition monitoring, CBM implementation and benefits; condition monitoring techniques- visual monitoring, vibration monitoring, wear debris monitoring, corrosion monitoring, performance monitoring
Unit 5 Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM):– Concept, methodology, benefits; Total Productive Maintenance: Evolution of TPM, TPM objectives, concept, pillars of TPM. Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)/ Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA): Overview, elements of FMECA, applications and benefits, risk evaluation, risk priority numbers, criticality analysis, process FMEA, qualitative and quantitative approach to FMECA; design FMEA and steps for carrying out design FMEA
ME801C Reliability and Maintenance References:
1. Ebeling CE; An Introduction To Reliability & Maintainability Engg; TMH
2. Srinath L.S; Reliability Engineering; East West Press.
3. Naikan; Reliability engg and life testing; PHI
4. Kapur KC and Lamberson LR; Reliability in Engineering Design; Wiley India
5. Telang AD and Telang A; Comprehensive Maintanance Management; PHI
6. Mishra R.C; Reliability and Maintenance Engineering; New age International publisher.
7. Balaguruswamy; Reliability Engg; TMH
8. Dhillon; Engg Maitainability- How to design for Reliability and easy maintenance; PHI
9. Davidson John; The Reliability of mechanical system; Institution of Mech. Engineers, London
10. Patrick D.T and O.’Connor; Practical Reliability Engineerin; John Wiley and Sons
11. Modarre M; Reliability and Risk Analysis, Marcel Dekker Inc CRC Press