ME 6th sem Internal Combustion Engines syllabus RGTU/RGPV ME-604 Internal Combustion Engines syllabus
Unit II: Combustion in SI engines: Flame development and propagation, ignition lag, effect of air density, temperature, engine speed, turbulence and ignition timings, physical and chemical aspects of detonation, effect of engine and fuel variables on knocking tendency, knock rating of volatile fuels, octane number, H.U.C.R., action of dopes, pre-ignition, its causes and remedy, salient features of various type combustion chambers, valve timing and firing order.
Unit III: Combustion in C.I. Engines: Times base indicator diagrams and their study, various stages of combustion, delay period, diesel knock, octane number, knock inhibitors, salient features of various types of combustion chambers, fuel, ignition, cooling, exhaust and lubrication systems; Simple problems on fuel injection, various types of engines, their classification and salient features. Rotary I. C. engines, their principles of working.
Unit IV: I.C. Engine System: Fuels, ignition systems, cooling, exhaust/scavenging and lubrication system. Fuel metering in SI engine: Fuel injection in SI engine (MPFI & TBI), Theory of carburetion, simple problems on carburetion. Fuel metering in CI engines: Fuel injection in CI engine and simple problems, various types of engines, their classification and salient features.
Unit V: Supercharging: Effect of attitude on mixture strength and output of S.I. engines, low and high pressure super charging, exhaust, gas turbo-charging, supercharging of two stroke engines.
1. Ganeshan V; Internal Combusion engines; TMH
2. Mathur ML & Sharma RP; A. Course in IC engines; DhanpatRai
3. Gupta HN; Fundamentals of IC Engines; PHI
4. Srinivasan S; Automotive Engines; TMH
5. Halderman JD and Mitchell CD; Automotive Engines theory and servicing; Pearson
6. DomKundwar; Internal Combustion Engines ; Dhanpat Rai Publications
7. Taylor GF; Internal Combustion Engines Theory & Practice; MIT Press
8. Richard Stone; Introduction to IC Engines; Society of Automotive Engr (Palgrave Mc Millan)
RGTU/RGPV ME-604 Internal Combustion Engines syllabus Suggested List of Experiments (Pl. expand it):
1. Determination of Valve timing diagram
2. Load test on Petrol Engine
3. Heat Balance of SI engine
4. Heat Balance of CI Engine
5. Study of Battery Ignition system and Electronic Ignition System
6. Study of Diesel fuel pump
7. Study of Diesel fuel injectors
8. Study of a Carburetors
9. Study of Fuel Injection system in SI Engine