Unit 2: Data models and Relational Databases Various data models, Basic concepts of Hierarchical data model, Network data model, and Relational data model, Comparison between the three types of models, Relational Data models: Domains, Tuples, Attributes, Relations, Characteristics of relations, Keys, Key attributes of relation, Relational database, Schemas, Integrity constraints, Intension and
Unit 3: Structured Query Language Relational Query languages: Relational algebra and relational calculus, Relational algebra operations like select, Project, Join, Division, outer union. SQL: Data definition in SQL, update statements and views in SQL QUEL & QBE: Data storage and definitions, Data retrieval queries and update statements.
Unit 4: Database Design Data Base Design: Introduction to normalization, Normal forms, Functional dependency, Decomposition, Dependency preservation and lossless join, problems with null valued and dangling tuples, multi-valued dependencies.
Unit 5: Advance Concepts: Introduction to: Distributed databases, protection, security and integrity constraints, concurrent operation on databases, recovery and transaction processing, basic concepts of object oriented data base system and design.
1. Elmasri, Navathe, “Fundamentals Of Database Systems”, Addision Wesley
2. Korth, Silbertz, Sudarshan, “Database Concepts”, McGraw Hill
3. Toledo; Data base management systems;TMH
4. Panneeselvam “Database Management System” PHI
5. Date C J, “An Introduction To Database System”, Addision Wesley
6. Majumdar ; DBMS; TMH
7. Fundamental of Data Base Management System by Leon & Leon, TMH
8. Oracle 9i Database Administration fundamental – I, volume 1, Oracle Press.
Suggested list of experiments(expandable): -
In this subject the students are supposed to prepare a small database application in complete semester like financial accounting system, Railway reservation system, institute time-table management system, student record system, library management system, hospital management system in RDBMS (preferably ORACLE 9i 10g).