Branch: Civil Engineering-VI Semester
Course: CE603 Environmental Engg. - I
Estimation of ground and surface water resources. quality of water from different sources, demand & quantity of water, fire demand, water requirement for various uses, fluctuations in demand, forecast of population.
Unit - II
Impurities of water and their significance, water-borne diseases, physical, chemical and bacteriological analysis of water, water standards for different uses. Intake structure, conveyance of water, pipe materials, pumps - operation & pumping stations.
Unit - III
Water Treatment methods-theory and design of sedimentation, coagulation, filtration, disinfection, aeration & water softening, modern trends in sedimentation & filtration, miscellaneous methods of treatment.
Unit - IV
Layout and hydraulics of different distribution systems, pipe fittings, valves and appurtenances, analysis of distribution system. Hardy cross method, leak detection, maintenance of distribution systems, service reservoir capacity and height of reservoir.
Unit - V
Rural water supply schemes, financing and management of water supply project, water pollution control act, conservancy & water carriage system, sanitary appliance and their operation, building drainage system of plumbing.
CE 603 Environmental Engg. - I Suggested Books and Reading Materials:-
1. Water Supply Engineering by B.C. Punmia - Laxmi Publications (P) Ltd. New Delhi
2. Water Supply & Sanitary Engg. by G.S. Birdi - Laxmi Publications (P) Ltd. New Delhi
3. Water & Waste Water Technology by Mark J.Hammer - Prentice - Hall of India, New Delhi
4. Environmental Engineering - H.S. Peavy & D.R.Rowe - Mc Graw Hill Book Company, New Delhi
5. Water Supply & Sanitary Engg. by S.K. Husain
6. Water & Waste Water Technology - G.M. Fair & J.C. Geyer
7. Relevant IS Codes
CE 603 Environmental Engg. - I List of Experiments:
1. To study the various standards for water
2. To study of sampling techniques for water
3. Measurement of turbidity
4. To determine the coagulant dose required to treat the given turbid water sample
5. To determine the conc. of chlorides in a given water samples
6. Determination of hardness of the given sample
7. Determination of residual chlorine by “Chloroscope”
8. Determination of Alkalinity in a water samples
9. Determination of Acidity in a water samples
10. Determination of Dissolved Oxygen (DO) in the water sample.