IP-505 Metal Casting and Metal Forming Revised syllabus Industrial and Production Engineering(IP) RGPV / RGTU B.E. IP, 5th (V) Semester syllabus
B.E. (IP) Industrial and Production Engineering FOURTH IV SEMESTER
IP 05 Metal Casting and Metal Forming SYLLABUS
Unit-2 Melting Practices Cupola, capacity of a cupola, cupola operation, zones of cupola, cupola efficiency, melting furnaces for non –ferrous metals, classification of crucible furnaces, gating system, pouring basin, sprue, runner, gates, types of gates, riser, gating design, numerical simulation, main consideration in design and position of risers, types of risers, feeder location and shapes use of exothermic materials, use of chills.
Unit-3 Solidification and Special casting process: Solidification of casting, permanent mould casting, slush casting, die casting, centrifugal casting, investment casting, continuous casting, casting defects and their remedies, cleaning of castings, repair of casting, inspection of casting. solid modeling of castings, design for castability.
Unit-4 Metal Forming: Nature of plastic deformation, stress-strain relation inelastic and plastic deformation, concept of flow stress, deformation mechanism, hot and cold working, rolling principal, rolling stand arrangement, roll passes, breakdown passes, roll pass sequence, analysis of rolling, sheet metal working processes.
Unit-5 Forging, Extrusion and other Processes: Forging operations, forging design, drop forging die design, die inserts; Extrusion-principle, forward and backward extrusion, impact extrusion, hydrostatic extrusion, extruding tubes Wire drawing- rod and tube drawing, tube making, swaging.
(1) Roa P.N; Manufacturing Technology-foundry, forming…;TMH
(2) Ravi B; Metal casting- CAD and Analysis; PHI
(3) Jain PL; principles of foundry technology; TMH
(4) Hennie & Roshanthall; Metal casting; Mcgraw Hill New York
(5) Chambell J.S; Manufacturing Science; Mcgraw Hill New York
(6) Sharma S.K;.Manufacturing Science; I.K.International New Delhi
(7) Lindberg; Manufacturing Technology; Pretince Hall New Delhi
List of Experiment (Pl. expand it):
1. Solid modeling of casting parts using design for casting on software
2. Pattern making and sand molding using the solid model prepared in 1 above
3. Casting of molds prepared in 2 above
4. Design of Ggating system for casting using software and making physical models
5. Design and fabrication of metal forming parts
6. Design and fabrication of forging parts