RGPV / RGTU B.E. EC, 5th (V) Semester syllabus EC 503 Digital Communication Revised syllabus Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC)
B.E. (EC) Electronics and Communication Engineering FOURTH IV SEMESTER
EC 503 Digital Communication
Revised Syllabus and Scheme of Examination Effective from July 2007
Random variables:- Cumulative distribution function, Probability density function, Mean, Variance and standard deviations of random variable, Gaussian distribution, Error function, Correlation and autocorrelation, Central-limit theorem, Error probability, Power Spectral density of digital data.
Unit-II Pulse Modulation
Analog Signals:- Sampling of Signal, Sampling Theorem for Low Pass and Band Pass Signals, Aliasing, Pulse Amplitude Modulation (PAM), Time Division Multiplexing (TDM), Channel Bandwidth for PAM-TDM Signal, Types of Sampling, Instantaneous, Natural and Flat Top (Mathematical and Spectral Analysis), Aperture Effect, Introduction to Pulse Position and Pulse Duration Modulation.
Unit-III Pulse Code Modulation
Digital Signal:- Quantization, Quantization Error, Pulse Code Modulation (PCM), Signal-to-Noise Ratio in PCM, Companding, Data Rate and Bandwidth of Multiplexed PCM Signal, Inter-symbol Interference, Differential PCM (DPCM), Delta Modulation (DM), and Adaptive Delta Modulation (ADM), Comparison of various system in terms of Bandwidth and Signal-to-Noise Ratio.
Digital Modulation Techniques :- Analysis, Generation and Detection (Block Diagram), Spectrum and Bandwidth of Amplitude Shift Keying (ASK), Binary Phase Shift Keying (BPSK), Differential Phase Shift Keying (DPSK), Offset and Non-offset Quadrature Phase Shift Keying (QPSK), M-ary PSK, Binary Frequency Shift Keying (BFSK), M-ary FSK, Minimum Shift Keying, Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM), Comparison of digital modulation techniques on the basis of probability of error, Matched Filter.
Unit–V Spread Spectrum Modulation
Introduction to Spread Spectrum modulation, Generation and Characteristics of p-n Sequences, Direct sequence Spread Spectrum System, Spread Spectrum with Code division Multiple Access (CDMA), Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum.
1. Taub and Schilling: Principles of Communication System, TMH
2. Simon Haykins: Communication Systems, 4th Edition, John Wiley.
3. Singh and Sapre: Communication System, TMH
4. B.P. Lathi: Modern Analog and Digital Communication System, Oxford University Press
5. Tomasi: Advanced Electronics Communication Systems, 6th Edition, PHI
6. Couch: Digital and Analog Communication, Pearson Education.
7. David Smith : Digital Transmission Systems, Springer- Macmillan India Ltd
List of Experiments:
Simulation of different modulation techniques using Scilab (Freeware-Downloadable from www.Scilab.org) /Matlab/Any Similar Software. Plotting of signal constellation diagrams and signals (modulated/ unmodulated). Calculation of Bit error rates BER and comparison of various modulation techniques.
1. Study of Sampling Process and Signal Reconstruction and Aliasing.
2. Study of PAM, PPM and PDM.
3. Study of PCM Transmitter and Receiver.
4. Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) and Demultiplexing.
5. Study of ASK, PSK and FSK Transmitter and Receiver.