RGPV / RGTU B.E. CM 5th (V) Semester syllabus CM 504 Mass Transfer -I Revised syllabus Chemical Engineering (CM)
B.E. (CM) Chemical Engineering FOURTH IV SEMESTER
CM 504 Mass Transfer -I
Revised Syllabus and Scheme of Examination Effective from July 2007
Unit II Diffusion phenomenon: Molecular and eddy diffusion in gases, liquids and solids, interface mass transfer, Mass transfer theories: film theory Penetration theory and surface renewal theory
Unit III Distillation Vapour liquid Equillibria, Boiling point diagram, Relative volatility, flash and differential distillation for two component mixture, steam distillation, azeotropic distillation, extractive distillation.
Unit IV Continuous and Differential contact Distillation Rectification, reflux ratio, calculation of numbers of plates by NTU, optimum reflux ratio, open steam, multiple feed and multiple product calculations, Enthalpy concentration diagram, Panchon-Savarit method for calculation of number of theoretical plates. Approximate equation; Fensky and undeinrood equation for minimum numbers of plate calculation. Polarison Gilliland method for actual numbers of plate calculation, Batch distillation.
Unit V. Absorption: Absorption and Extraction in continuous contact columns, co-current, counter current and cross current contacting fluids, calculations of NTU and HTU, concept of HETP
1. Mc-Cabe W.L, Smith J.M.; Unit Operation In Chemical Engineering; Tat Mc-GrawHill.
2. Coulson J. M. Richardson; Chemical Engineering – Vol 2; Butserworth Heinmann, Oxford, Delhi
3. Treybal R.E; Mass Transfer Operatio; Mc. Graw Hill.
4. Sherwood, T.K. Pigford R.L. and Wilke, C.R.; Mass Transfer; Mc. Graw Hill.
List of Experiment (Pl. expand it):
1. To study the flooding and loading of packed columns using different types of packing.
2. To study different types of plates and packing.
3. To prepare the vapor-liquid equilibrium and Boiling point diagram for a binary liquid mixture.
4. Determination of relative volatility of a given system of acetic acid water.
5. To verify Rayleigh equation for differential distillation of binary system.
6. To carry out the steam distillation.
7. To study batch distillation.
8. To study continuous distillation.
9. Studies on packed tower distillation unit.
10. Studies on the sieve plate distillation unit.
11. Studies on bubble cap distillation column.
12. To study the absorption of a gas in a packed column and calculation of NTU and HTU.
Note: Each student should perform at least eight experiments out of the above list.