RGPV / RGTU B.E. CM 5th (V) Semester syllabus CM 505 Heat Transfer Revised syllabus Chemical Engineering (CM)
B.E. (CM) Chemical Engineering FOURTH IV SEMESTER
CM 505 Heat Transfer
Revised Syllabus and Scheme of Examination Effective from July 2007
Unit II Convective heat transfer, heat transfer in boundary layer and in films, natural and forced convection, co/counter/cross current contacting for heat transfer, individual and overall heat transfer coefficient, fouling factor.
Unit III Radiative heat transfer, Black body radiation, concept of shape factor, methods of determination of shape factor, radiation exchange in enclosure with black surfaces.
Unit IV Heat transfer under phase change conditions, boiling and condensation of pure components, heat flux temperature diagram for boiling and condensation under vertical and horizontal surfaces, nucleate & pool boiling, effect of surface condition on condensation, correlation for heat transfer under condensation.
Evaporation- Type of evaporators and their applications single and multiple effect evaporators, design and operation of forward– backward and mixed feed operations, effect of boiling point elevation and hydrostatic head vapour recompression.
Unit V Heat Exchange equipment: Introduction to general design of double pipe ,shell and tube exchangers, condensers, extended surface equipments, heat exchanger equation – coil to fluid, jacket to fluid.
1. Donald Q. Kern; Process Heat Transfer; Tata McGraw Hill.
2. Alan J. Chapman; Heat Transfer; Collier McMillan.
3. Rao Y.V.C; Heat Transfer; PHI
List of Experiment (Pl. expand it):
1. To determine the thermal conductivity of metal rod.
2. To determine the equivalent thermal conductivity of composite wall.
3. To determine heat transfer coefficient in force convection.
4. To determine heat transfer coefficient in Natural convection.
5. To determine heat transfer coefficient with the help of Stefan Boltzmann Apparatus.
6. To calculate emissivity of the test plate by emissivity measurement apparatus.
7. To determine heat transfer coefficient in double pipe heat exchanger.
8. To study the heat transfer characteristics of a shell and tube heat exchanger (heating/cooling) of water.
9. To determine heat transfer coefficient in parallel and counter flow heat exchanger.
10. To measure the rate of evaporation using an open pan evaporator.
11. To measure the rate of condensation of pure water vapour and to determine the heat transfer coefficient.
12. Demonstrate the film-wise drop-wise condensation and determination of he heat transfer coefficient.
13. To study the single effect evaporator and find out the heat transfer coefficient.
Note: Each student should perform at least eight experiments out of the above list.