RGPV / RGTU B.E. CM, 4th (IV) Semester syllabus CM-405 Fluid Mechanics Revised syllabus Chemical Engineering(CM)
B.E. (CM) Chemical Engineering FOURTH IV SEMESTER
CM 405 Fluid Mechanics
Revised Syllabus and Scheme of Examination Effective from July 2007
UNIT-2 Kinematics of Flow: Types of flow-ideal & real, steady & unsteady, uniform & nonuniform, one, two and three dimensional flow, path lines, streak-lines, streamlines and stream tubes; continuity equation for one and three dimensional flow, rotational & irrotational flow, circulation, stagnation points, separation of flow, sources & sinks, velocity potential, stream function, flow nets-their utility & method of drawing flow nets.
UNIT-3 Dynamics of Flow: Euler’s equation of motion along a streamline and derivation of Bernoulli’s equation, application of Bernollie’s equation, energy correction factor, linear momentum equation for steady flow; momentum correction factor. The moment of moment of momentum equation, forces on fixed and moving vanes and other applications. Fluid Measurements: Velocity measurement (Pitot tube, Prandtl tube, current meters etc.) flow measurement (orifices, nozzles, mouth pieces, orifice meter, nozzle meter, venturi-meter, weirs and notches).
UNIT-4 Fluid machinery: Pumps, fans blowers, compressor & vacuum pumps, power & head requirement for pumps.
UNIT-5 Laminar flow: introduction to laminar & turbulent flow, concept of Reynolds number & friction factor; friction factor for rough & smooth pipe loss of head due to friction in pipes & fittings.
1. Modi & Seth; Fluid Mechanics; Standard Book House, Delhi
2. Som and Biswas; Fluid Mechnics and machinery; TMH
3. Cengal; Fluid Mechanics; TMH
4. White ; Fluid Mechanics ; TMH
5. JNIK DAKE; Essential of Engg Hyd; Afrikan Network & Sc Instt. (ANSTI)
6. Franiss JRD; A Text Book of fluid Mech. for Engg. Student
7. R Mohanty; Fluid Mechanics; PHI
8. Gupta; Fluid Mechanics; Pearson.
List of Experiment (Pl. expand it):
1. To determine the local point pressure with the help of pitot tube.
2. To find out the terminal velocity of a spherical body in water.
3. Calibration of Venturimeter
4. Determination of Cc, Cv, Cd of Orifices
5. Calibration of Orifice Meter
6. Calibration of Nozzle meter and Mouth Piece
7. Reynolds experiment for demonstration of stream lines & turbulent flow
8. Determination of metacentric height
9. Determination of Friction Factor of a pipe
10. To study the characteristics of a centrifugal pump.
11. Verification of Impulse momentum principle.