6th Semester CM 605 Chemical Reaction Engineering I Syllabus RGPV / RGTU B.E. Chemical Engineering(CM) VI-6th Semester Syllabus
Unit II Interpretation of kinetic data, Integral and differential method of analysis, variable volume reactions, total pressure method of kinetic analysis
Unit III Classification of Reactors: Concept of ideality, Development of design equations for batch, semi batch, tubular and stirred tank reactor, Design of Isothermal and non-isothermal batch, CSTR, PFR, reactors. Combination of reactors, Reactors with recycle, yield and selectivity in multiple reactions.
Unit IV Multiple Reactions in Batch, continuous stirred tank and Plug flow reactors uniqueness of steady state in continuous stirred tank reactor, optimum temperature progression, thermal characteristics of reactors.
Unit V Non ideal reaction, RTD dispersion model, Tank and series model, recycle model, segregated flow in mixed models, evaluation of RTD characteristics.
1. Smith J.M; Chemical Engineering Kinetics; Mc Graw Hill.
2. Denbigh & Turner K.G; Chemical Reaction Theory An Introduction; United Press.
3. Copper & Jeffery’s GVJ; Chemical Kinetics And Reactor Engineering; Prentice Hall
4. Levenspiel O; Chemical Reaction Engg; Willey Eastern, Singapore.
5. Houghen Watson & Ragatz; Chemical Process Principles Part Iii; Asian Pub-House Mumbai
6. Fogler H.S; Elements Of Chemical Reaction Engineering; PHI
List of Experiment (Pl. expand it):
1. To determine velocity rate constant of the hydrolysis of ethyl acetate by sodium hydroxide.
2. To study the rate constant of hydrolysis of an ester-catalyzed by acid.
3. Determine the rate constant and order of reaction between Potassium per sulphate and Potassium iodide.
4. To study temperature dependency of rate constant, evaluation of activation energy and verification of Arrhenius law.
5. To study a consecutive reaction system( hydraulic model)
6. To study a parallel reaction system ( hydraulic model)
7. To study a homogeneous reaction in a semi-batch reactor under isothermal conditions.
8. Study of non catalytic homogeneous saponification reaction in CSTR.
9. To study a non-catalytic homogeneous reaction in a plug flow reactor.
10. To study the residence time distribution behavior of a back mix reactor.
11. To study the RTD behavior of a tubular reactor.
12. To study the RTD behavior of a packed bed reactor.
13. To study the behavior of a continuous flow reactor system-three reactor in series.
14. To study the kinetics of thermal decomposition of calcium carbonate.
15. To study a homogeneous catalytic reaction in a batch reactor under adiabatic conditions.
16. Study of non catalytic saponification reaction in a tubular flow reactor.
Note: Each student should perform at least eight experiments out of the above list.