ME-702 (C) Total Quality Management and SQC Syllabus ME 7th sem RGTU/RGPV Mechanical Engineering(ME) Seventh-7th Sem syllabus
Unit 2 Process- definition, variation and feedback, funnel-marble experiment- rules of adjustment and its effects, quality- definition, goalpost and kaizen view, quality of design, conformance and performance; Taguchi loss function, cost of quality, chain action of improving quality to productivity to motivation and low cost; Demings theory of mgt, fourteen points and variance reduction; attributes enumerative and variables analytic studies.
Unit 3 SQC-Control charts: basic discrete and continuous distributions, measures of central tendency, variability and shapes, sampling, size and central value theorem, control chart structure, process plotting and stability, study of out-of-control evidences, defect detection and prevention, use of control charts in evaluating past, present and future trends; attribute control charts, count and classification charts, construction and interpretation of p , np , c and u charts, PDSA cycle(plan, do, study, act), and R charts, and s charts, individual and moving range chart, trial control limits and out of control points.
Unit 4 Process diagnostics: Between and Within Group variations, periodic and persistent disturbances, control chart patterns-natural, level-shift, cycle, wild, multi-universe, relationship and other out of control patterns; diagnosing a process, brainstorming; cause-effect, Ishikava, interrelationship, systematic and matrix diagrams; change concepts and waste elimination
Unit 5 Process improvement: Performance and technical specifications, attribute-process and variable-process capability studies; unstable and stable process capability studies and examples; attribute and variable improvement studies; Inspection: acceptance sampling(AS)- lot formation, single, double and multiple/sequential sampling plans, operating characteristic (OC) curve, producer and consumer risk, theoretical invalidation of AS, kp rule for stable and chaotic processes.
1. Gitlow HS, Oppenheim et al; Quality Management; TMH
2. Gryna FM; Jurans Quality Planning and Analysis; TMH
3. Crosby Philips; Quality is still free; New Amer Library
4. Kulkarni VA and Bewoor AK; Quality Control; Wiley
5. Jankiraman B and Gopal RK; Total Quality Management- Text and Cases; PHI Learning
6. Sugandhi L and Samual A; Total Quality Management; PHI Learning
7. Subburaj R; Total Qality Management; TMH
8. Naidu Babu and Rajendran; TQM; New age International pub;
9. Chase Richard B et al; Operations management; SIE-TMH
10. Chary SN; Production and Operations Management; TMH