IT 302 Discrete Structure Course Contents:
Set Theory, Relation, Function, Theorem Proving Techniques : Set Theory: Definition of sets, countable and uncountable sets, Venn Diagrams, proofs of some general identities on sets
Algebraic Structures: Definition, Properties, types: Semi Groups, Monoid, Groups, Abelian group, properties of groups, Subgroup, cyclic groups, Cosets, factor group, Permutation groups, Normal subgroup, Homomorphism and isomorphism of Groups, example and standard results, Rings and Fields: definition and standard results.
Propositional Logic: Proposition, First order logic, Basic logical operation, truth tables, tautologies, Contradictions, Algebra of Proposition, logical implications, logical equivalence, predicates, Normal Forms, Universal and existential quantifiers. Introduction to finite state machine Finite state machines as models of physical system equivalence machines, Finite state machines as language recognizers
Graph Theory: Introduction and basic terminology of graphs, Planer graphs, Multigraphs and weighted graphs, Isomorphic graphs, Paths, Cycles and connectivity, Shortest path in weighted graph, Introduction to Eulerian paths and circuits, Hamiltonian paths and circuits, Graph coloring, chromatic number, Isomorphism and Homomorphism of graphs.
Posets, Hasse Diagram and Lattices: Introduction, ordered set, Hasse diagram of partially, ordered set, isomorphic ordered set, well ordered set, properties of Lattices, bounded and complemented lattices. Combinatorics: Introduction, Permutation and combination, Binomial Theorem, Multimonial Coefficients Recurrence Relation and Generating Function: Introduction to Recurrence Relation and Recursive algorithms , Linear recurrence relations with constant coefficients, Homogeneous solutions, Particular solutions, Total solutions , Generating functions , Solution by method of generating functions,
1. C.L.Liu, “Elements of Discrete Mathematics” Tata Mc Graw-Hill Edition.
2. Trembley, J.P & Manohar; “Discrete Mathematical Structure with Application CS”, McGraw Hill.
3. Kenneth H. Rosen, “Discrete Mathematics and its applications”, McGraw Hill.
4. Lipschutz; Discrete mathematics (Schaum); TMH
5. Deo, Narsingh, “Graph Theory With application to Engineering and Computer.Science.”, PHI.
6. Krishnamurthy V; “Combinatorics Theory & Application”, East-West Press Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
7. S k Sarkar “ Discrete Mathematics”, S. Chand Pub