BPharma, PY 604 PHARMACOGNOSY – IV 7th (VII) Semester RGPV / RGTU B Pharma, PHARMACY 7th (VII) Semester Syllabus
BPharma 7th sem PHARMACOGNOSY – IV Syllabus
Historical development of plant tissue culture technique, types of culture, nutritional requirements, surface sterilization of explants, growth and maintenance. Application of PTC in development of phytoconstituents.
An introduction of marine pharmacognosy and novel agents from marine sources like cardiovascular active substances, cytotoxic, antimicrobial, antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic agents, marine toxin etc.
Herbs as health food, cosmeceuticals.
An introduction to cultivation and utilization of aromatic plants with special reference to sandalwood oil, menthe oil, eucalyptus oil, lemon grass oil, clove oil.
Production and analysis of phytoconstituents of pharmaceutical importance like quinine, strychnine, atropine, morphine podophyllotoxin, papain, vincristine, ephedrine and Tannic acid, Spectral analysis of herbal drugs with emphasis on application of UV, IR, NMR, mass.
Natural dyes, Immunomodulators and Adaptogents.
LIST OF PRACTICAL:
1. To perform chromatography of amino acids
2. To perform paper chromatography of sugars
3. To perform TLC of alkaloids
4. To perform TLC of extract of rauwolfi, datura
5. To perform TLC of volatile oils i.e. eucalyptus oil, menthe oil
6. To identify the presence of eugenol in clove oil by TLC
7. To determine volatile oil content of eucalyptus leaf
8. To determine volatile oil content of fennel fruits
9. To isolate ammonium glycyrrhizinate from glycyrrhiza
10. To extract aloin from aloe
11. To extract tannic acid from myrobalan
12. To perform column chromatography a natural dye.
1. Trease, G.E.and Evans, W.C., Pharmacognosy, Baillierc, Tindall, Eastbourne, U.K.
2. Tayler, V.E., Brady, L.R. and Robers, J.E., Pharmacognosy Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia
3. Kokate, C.K., Purohit, A.P. and Gokhale, S.B., Pharmacognosy Nirali Prakashan, Pune
4. C.R Atal and B.M. Kapoor, Cultivation & Utilization of Aromatic Plants, Council of Scientific Industrial Research (CSIR) New Delhi.