Unit-II Base band signal, need of modulation, Introduction of modulations techniques,Amplitude modulation, Equation and its frequency domain representation, Bandwidth, Power distribution. AM suppressed carrier waveform equation and frequency domain representation Generation (Balance/Chopper modulator) and synchronous detection technique, errors in synchronous detection, Introduction to SSB and VSB Transmission Angle modulation, Frequency and phase modulation equation and their relative phase and frequency deviations, modulation index frequency spectrum, NBFM and WBFM, Bandwidth comparison of modulation techniques.
Unit-III Sampling of signal, sampling theorem for low pass and Band pass signal, Pulse amplitude modulation (PAM), Time division, multiplexing (TDM). Channel Bandwidth for PAM-TDM signal Type of sampling instantaneous, Natural and flat top, Aperture effect, Introduction to pulse position and pulse duration modulations, Digital signal, Quantization, Quantization error, Pulse code modulation, signal to noise ratio, Companding, Data rate and Baud rate, Bit rate, multiplexed PCM signal, Differential PCM (DPCM), Delta Modulation (DM) and Adaptive Delta Modulation (ADM), comparison of various systems.
Unit-IV Digital modulations techniques, Generation, detection, equation and Bandwidth of amplitude shift keying (ASK) Binary Phase Shift keying (BPSK), Differential phase shift keying (DPSK), offset and non offset quadrature phase shift keying (QPSK), M-Ary PSK, Binary frequency Shift Keying (BFSK), M-Ary FSK Quadrature Amplitude modulation (QAM), MODEM, Introduction to probability of error.
Unit-V Information theory and coding- Information, entropies (Marginal and conditional), Model of a communication system, Mathematical representation of source, channel and receiver characteristics, Mutual information, channel capacity efficiency of noise free channel Binary symmetric channel (BSC) Binary erasure channel (BEC), Repetition of signal, NM symmetric Binary channel, Shannon theorem, Shanon-Hartley theorem (S/N-BW trade off)Source encoding code properties; Shanon, Fano and Huffman coding methods and their efficiency error control coding, Minimum Hamming distance, Linear Block Code, Cyclic code and convolution codes. Line Encoding: Manchester coding, RZ, NRZ coding.
Analog and Digital Communication (ADC) References:
1. Singh & Sapre, Communication System, TMH
2. Taub & shilling, Communication System, TMH
3. Hsu; Analog and digital communication(Schaum); TMH
4. B.P. Lathi, Modern Digital and analog communication system,
5. Simon Haykins, Communication System. John Willy
6. Wayne Tomasi, Electronic Communication system.
7. Martin S. Roden, Analog & Digital Communication System; Discovery Press.
8. Frank R. Dungan, Electronic Communication System, Thomson/Vikas.
1. Study of sampling process and signal reconstruction and aliasing.
2. Study of PAM PPM and PDM
3. Study of PCM transmitter and receiver.
4. Time division multiplexing (TDM) and De multiplexing
5. Study of ASK PSK and FSK transmitter and receiver.
6. Study of AM modulation and Demodulation techniques (Transmitter and Receiver) Calculate of parameters
7. Study of FM modulation and demodulation (Transmitter and Receiver) & Calculation of parameters
8. To construct and verify pre emphasis and de-emphasis and plot the wave forms.
9. Study of super heterodyne receiver and characteristics of ratio radio receiver.
10. To construct frequency multiplier circuit and to observe the waveform
11. Study of AVC and AFC.