IP-405 Fluid Mechanics Revised syllabus Industrial and Production Engineering(IP) RGPV / RGTU B.E. IP, 4th (IV) Semester syllabus
B.E. (IP) Industrial and Production Engineering FOURTH IV SEMESTER
IP 405 Fluid Mechanics syllabus
Revised Syllabus and Scheme of Examination Effective from July 2007
Fluid Static’s : Pressure at a point, pressure variation in static fluid, Absolute and gauge pressure, manometers, Forces on plane and curved surfaces (Problems on gravity dams and Tainter gates); buoyant force, Stability of floating and submerged bodies, Relative equilibrium.
Unit-II Kinematics of Flow : Types of flow-ideal & real , steady & unsteady, uniform & non-uniform, one, two and three dimensional flow, path lines, streak-lines, streamlines and stream tubes; continuity equation for one and three dimensional flow, rotational & irrotational flow, circulation, stagnation point, separation of flow, sources & sinks, velocity potential, stream function, flow netstheir utility & method of drawing flow nets.
Unit-III Dynamics of Flow: Euler’s equation of motion along a streamline and derivation of Bernoulli’s equation, application of Bernoulli’s equation, energy correction factor, linear momentum equation for steady flow; momentum correction factor. The moment of momentum equation, forces on fixed and moving vanes and other applications.
Fluid Measurements: Velocity measurement (Pitot tube, Prandtl tube, current meters etc.); flow measurement (orifices, nozzles, mouth pieces, orifice meter, nozzle meter, venturi-meter, weirs and notches).
Unit-IV Dimensional Analysis and Dynamic Similitude: Dimensional analysis, dimensional homogeneity, use of Buckingham-pi theorem, calculation of dimensionless numbers, similarity laws, specific model investigations (submerged bodies, partially submerged bodies, weirs, spillways, rotodynamic machines etc.)
Unit-V Laminar Flow: Introduction to laminar & turbulent flow, Reynolds experiment & Reynolds number, relation between shear & pressure gradient, laminar flow through circular pipes, laminar flow between parallel plates, laminar flow through porous media, Stokes law, lubrication principles.
1. Modi & Seth; Fluid Mechanics; Standard Book House, Delhi
2. Som and Biswas; Fluid Mechnics and machinery; TMH
3. Cengal; Fluid Mechanics; TMH
4. White ; Fluid Mechanics ; TMH
5. JNIK DAKE; Essential of Engg Hyd; Afrikan Network & Sc Instt. (ANSTI)
6. Franiss JRD; A Text Book of fluid Mech. for Engg. Student
7. R Mohanty; Fluid Mechanics; PHI
8. Gupta; Fluid Mechanics; Pearson.
List of Experiment (Pl. expand it):
1. To determine the local point pressure with the help of pitot tube.
2. To find out the terminal velocity of a spherical body in water.
3. Calibration of Orifice meter and Venturi meter
4. Determination of Cc, Cv, Cd of Orifices
5. Calibration of Nozzle meter and Mouth Piece
6. Reynolds experiment for demonstration of stream lines & turbulent flow
7. Determination of meta-centric height
8. Determination of Friction Factor of a pipe
9. To study the characteristics of a centrifugal pump.
10. Verification of Impulse momentum principle.