RGPV / RGTU B Pharma, PHARMACY 3rd (III) Semester PY 304 PHARMACEUTICAL MICROBIOLOGY syllabus (Theory)
BRANCH: BPharma, PHARMACY THIRD III SEMESTER
PY 304 PHARMACEUTICAL MICROBIOLOGY (Theory)
(Modified on 25th September 2009)
2. Microbiology Taxonomy: Classification of Bacteria and Viruses
3. Identification of Microbes:
Working of different types of microscopes, electron microscopy, stains and types of staining techniques.
Structure and Morphology of bacteria and viruses.
Nutritional requirements, Cultivation and isolation of bacteria and viruses.
4. Microbial genetics and variation.
5. Control of microbes by physical and chemical methods:
a. Disinfection: factors influencing disinfection, dynamics of disinfection.
b. Disinfectants and antiseptics, and their evaluation
c. Sterilization: Different methods, Validation of sterilization methods and equipments.
6. Sterility testing of pharmaceutical products.
7. Infection and factors influencing infection: Immunity, Primary and Secondary defensive mechanism of body, Microbial resistance, Interferon.
8. Microbial diseases: Brief outline of communicable diseases. Their causative agents, Mode of transmission and prevention – Chicken pox, Measles, influenza, Diphtheria, Whooping, cough, Tulberculosis, Poliomyelitis, Hepatitis, Cholera, Typhoid, Food poisoning, Helminthiasis, Malaria, Filariasis, Rabies, Trachoma, Tetanus, Syphilis, Gonorrhoea and AIDS.
9. Microbial assay of antibiotics and vitamins.
10. Food spoilage and Preservation of food.
11. Sewage and Sewage disposal: Industrial Sewage, Sewage treatment methods, BOD, COD etc.